Sunday, February 12, 2006

Not-winning and not-wed

I noticed that in the last 2 days, since I actually started writing, my profile has magically doubled the number of visits it's had, and I just want to take a moment to clarify my identity: I am not actually a trophy wife. I'm not even married (although that's in progress). I'm not sure why I identify with the name - it's not who I am or who I ever really was, but it is the only nickname (not counting parts of my actual name) I've been given that's stuck for any length of time and for that reason it's comfortable and seems appropriate. It was passed along in the fine tradition of ultimate teams when one is suddenly struck with inspiration and dubs a team member something so appropriate at that moment that henceforth they are called by that name, and that name only. I didn't know Tiger's real name for at least a year, and didn't find out the reason for his name until fairly recently.. such is the world of ultimate nicknames which occasionally are transparent (Flipper, Legs, Tricky) but often form the punchline of an inside joke, sometimes so old that few remember the actual meaning. I was dubbed Trophy Wife upon my team's discovery of my engagement rather spontaneously - I'm pretty sure it was intended somewhat sarcastically but we all took to it so here I am. Trophy Wife. It's a hell of a lot better than other names that stuck around for brief periods of time - who really wants to be known as "dump truck" or "shorty" or "poo-stick" or "scrappy-doo" for years? (the last one isn't quite so bad, I'll admit) although they have the distinct advantage of being enigmatic enough to not stereotype the holder at least. I could write paragraphs more (and maybe even think up some really nice metaphors) about nicknames and real names and identity and masks and whatnot, but honestly I'm quite tired and not feeling eloquent, as I'm sure anyone with half a brain will have noticed. I'll try again tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe Little said...

Hah! I've found you out. Read the first 3 posts and really enjoyed them. Its funny, I feel like I'm seeing you in a new light as I read your thoughtful reflective entries. I can't quite gather my thoughts at the moment, but I must say that I'm very happy you're writing and extremely happy with the result. I found you through checking the site-referrals on my sitemeter; I'm always a bit curious who's reading my blog and after playing at Knox under the banner of oojamaflip I thought it was a little too apropos that someone would visit my site under that moniker. Take care and please keep writing.

2:56 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flipper is transparent!? Says who?

10:21 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home