Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The elusive silver sandals

No one seems to make comfortable shoes that are cute. And no one makes cute shoes that are comfortable. It's been a long long day of walking around, so this point becomes even more salient and frustrating. I have now been looking for shoes for over six months without any luck. I'd like to think of myself as flexible - I want a) sandals that are b) silver or off-white and c) have a 1-inch or lower heel. These do not exist. I came the closest today I have ever come, discovering a Cole Hann/Nike crossbreed that was only half an inch high, strappy, silver - with nike air in the heel, and a padded sole under the toes. Perfect. Except for the black nubby rubber tread on the bottom, which for some reason the designers decided to have on the sides of the soles also. This will not do for a wedding. Or any other formal occasion, unless you're one of those rock-star types who can wear holey tank tops and cut-offs to the Oscars. But no one actually does that, and I certainly wouldn't be the first one. The most depressing part is that there are about forty pairs of cute strappy silver sandals that I really like, except for the 3/4/5-inch heels. I am not kidding about that. They start at three inches and just get taller and taller. I can't understand who wears shoes like this. Although I do understand why people do - you can't buy anything else. Why does everyone in society have to be tall and slinky? I have tried very hard to square with the fact that I will never meet those expectations but this uncomfortable pretense is being carried too far.

Really, the truth is that I'm hungry and tired after walking around fruitlessly all afternoon in rain with very little to eat. This, as I think is obvious, puts in a not-good mood which I intend to remedy soon with pesto, chocolate, and indoor. Nothing like food and frisbee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home