Sunday, April 09, 2006

Fell in love.. in the key of C

I suppose it is a silly thing, but I prefer to listen to music in complete privacy. I don't like to talk after the symphony, I don't enjoy giving opinions on how much I liked a performance or a piece especially in detail. It's the same reaction that I think many feel to the standard "how are you?" questions, in that the answer that they would truthfully give goes beyond the expectation, but to hold back seems false and therefore unsatisfying. It would be better to not say anything at all. I suppose in the case of music I hold back because I fear the judgment of others (oh the joys of American society!), that my opinion will be thought meaningless or trite or simply wrong. Also because there are certain things that when I hear them move me to the point of tears due to some inexplicable sublime element. I cannot describe these things satisfyingly in words, and I am often embarrassed by my strong connection to a chord progression or harmonic twining. Are others so rooted in the primacy of sound, the primality of it? I often feel touched to the very core and to express that specifically to others reveals all that depth and hiddenness that I have striven to keep private, to keep safe. Even here I keep myself so formal (I can see it, even if you can't sense it. Can you? I wonder how much you can see of me on this page...) in an effort to not reveal too much. Won't tell you the songs, the names, the distraction that wells up and entrances me to the point where I give up work and stare blankly at my computer screen, absorbing the purity of sound. All-encompassing. I grow lost in the notes the way I grow lost in the pages of good book, jolted back to awareness unhappily at the end of a chapter or the applause of an audience. Ending up, as I feel now, monumentally unsatisfied: an addict crying out for the next reality-bending fix.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home