Thursday, April 06, 2006

one good paragraph

I have noticed that my writing tends toward the unwieldy, particularly when it's late or I'm tired or have little to say. While rambling certainly has its place in writing, there is a certain distillment of thought present in good clarity of language and denseness of prose that I admire. Compacted passion. In a bold new move, I have decided to finally embrace an experiment that has haunted my evenings and simply try for one good paragraph every night, on whatever topic, to concentrate my thinking and my process to a small degree. Even these introductory sentences are harder to write - more deliberate, more edited, more weighty. We do value our words more when we have fewer of them at hand. With luck, a week from now I will feel successful and you will feel relief.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home