Monday, May 08, 2006

Oddity (I'll find a real topic tomorrow)

I had a nightmare about school brought on by the heat of the morning and apparently some discontent in my psyche. We post-bacs left for class a good five minutes early and somehow got split up and then couldn't find the building. It was covered like a large yellow and dull-red striped tent - some kind of circus but more like a house under termite attack - and as we entered it was clear the tent was to keep the dust from construction off the neighboring buildings, the streets, the sidewalk. We came in on three and looked for the stairs, finding a narrow and steep set (almost a ladder) leading directly into a bathroom (for easy access from multiple floors?) but we took it and kept moving on two. Having come in through a different entrance than normal we realized we didn't actually know the room number of the class, just the location in a relative way, so we spread out to look for something familiar. Walked through a bunch of other classrooms (not much in the way of walls) including 300-level latin and finally found class about an hour late. Reading Ovid or maybe Homer. I can't be sure, and my backpack was stuffed full of notebooks and commentaries and the like. Class broke up and suddenly we were wandering the same building, in search of pastries and bread homemade and sold by students like an impromptu farmer's market. Maybe I also woke up because I was hungry. I am no stranger to dreams, or nightmares about school, and this was one dream of many that I do remember from a restless early-morning attempt to sleep and not cough, but rarely do I dream of places I have left with any sort of anxiety. Rarely do I dream of school when not in it, and I would be more inclined (based on history) to panic about Illinois than to continue in retroactive fear of Ker or Murnaghan. I am not sure why I have written this here, although it did come to mind and I try to write about whatever comes to mind without thinking too much. Some kind of catharsis perhaps, some kind of complaint, some kind of hope for better sleep tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home