Wednesday, April 26, 2006

at least sleeping beauty was well rested

We need moments by ourselves, quiet intervals to refresh and recharge. And if these are not obtained often a small revolt of some sort occurs in my case the sudden realization that my clumsiness is not all innate and my snappish conversation is not motivated simply by some hidden mean streak. When I stood to move tables and felt the timid tingling in my limbs, the odd perception in my brain - everything moves in slower motion and yet with infinitely more clarity if only I can focus upon it long enough to appreciate the value - the lump in my throat and the dull listlessness in my demeanor I realized straight away that I needed a night off for sleep, for refection. With luck this will be the illness of my childhood that was remedied painlessly by a good night of sleep and solid naps during the day. I cannot afford time in these last few days to laze around by myself nor can I risk exacerbating a minor problem before the many trips I am about to embark upon. I undertook to do too much, lured by the evening companionship and idle amusement that has been so lacking for much of this year, and sacrificed my physical well-being for the sake of the mind. Lucretius, I'm sure, and Apuleius would have much to say to me about the division or unity of these two concepts and I doubtlessly will contemplate them tomorrow morning, awakened by the morning sun and restored of mind and spirit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home