Monday, April 24, 2006

Like the color indicator in titration

Perception is influenced by perspective, far more than we generally give conscious credit. My mother looks at a paint chip, surrounded by whiteness on the card and thinks "what a nice yellow" and then gasps in horror at the brightness on the walls, nevermind that the uncovered pink surfaces and the extra lighting and the removed curtains all have their effect. The sideline heckles and compliments based only on the current game, not realizing or caring that in a real club game I would be hopelessly outmatched on defense, outthrown, outmarked. I may have energy but I am a young enough player to need the maturity of experience and the help of track workouts. I feel like an intelligent scholar until put firmly into place by older students, or younger students with their own splendid brilliance; I think I am a hockey fan until I realize I don't even know the team names. Parallax was one of my favorite phenomena in chemistry, crouching down to read the proper liquid volume by examining the ellipsis. With the right perspective, perception takes on a universality that is unquestionable. It's just a question of finding the right angle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home