Friday, July 07, 2006

Bars of onion rings, a lock of ketchup

I had the odd experience the other day of feeling trapped in a lunch that I couldn't wait to get out of. This may not surprise many people upfront, except that my lunch was with Ethan and Steve (they were fine), two Bates-Clark medalists (for the best economist under 40), one of whom also has won the McArthur genius grant, and a nobel prize winner in economics. Lunchtime conversation was definitely at a higher level than normal, with little to no contribution from the three of us in the peanut gallery. Fascinating, but all I could think of was how I was trying to make up two hours of missed time and that the computer labs all closed at five, meaning the only way was to take a short lunch or work on the weekend. I figured (as lunch ticked slowly past the hour mark) that I could probably, without offense, excuse myself since I was the only hourly-paid employee at the table and everyone there (to my knowledge) had had that experience and could sympathize. But I lacked the courage to speak up - the last lunch I voiced an opinion ended up with my pathetically limited knowledge on the topic being battered into the ground (once bitten, twice shy) - so there I sat, trying not to fidget or shred my napkin or roll my eyes or look at my watch. I got out after ninety minutes. The reason I was two hours behind already was from a lunch the week before. I wonder why I worry about these things - I could just write down two fewer hours on my timecard this week. Emily isn't holding me to a set schedule and at this point I am sure to finish the project before I leave, possibly even by next week if I keep up my full-time travails, so there is no real reason to worry, no real need to be present every hour of the workday. I still worry somehow that that's cheating, that I'm slacking, that my work ethic isn't enough. Like Sue said so fatefully, six years ago, that I have no drive. No ambition. That would be worse than being two hours behind.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ambition is the curse of people who don't know what they want or appreciate what they have, and are forever locked in the struggle to acquire it, whatever 'it' turns out to be.

And when someone not afflicted by this blind zeal for a reward for ignoring all the beautiful things around them succeeds in things that they never did, these 'successful' people remark at your lack of ambition, as if somehow your small triumps are undeserved.

As my 24th year draws to a close, I have many regrets, some of them great, some of them small, like having quit piano before I could appreciate the joy of playing.

But none of them are my lack of ambition.

Every regret that I can right, I can right through the joy of exploration and a bit of courage.

And the ones I can't... well, they call them regrets for a reason.

11:56 PM CDT  
Blogger TonyT said...

What's the news Trophywife? Where are you these days?

1:27 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home