Monday, March 13, 2006

Runway lights

I can see the lights of the city twinkling out my window, the ankles of basketball players dancing on the gym floors, the smooth bright lettering on top of the hospital declaring "PENN" to all of Center City. It turns out, as I discovered today, that I like Philadelphia. Every time I return to Pasadena, or more recently Chicago, there is a sense of belonging and comfort that the surroundings impart. I am entering a known place with friendly people and where I know my way around the streets even without maps. There are people that will provide me with constant companionship if I seek it, and places and space for me to sit alone in comfort. I don't have to adapt myself to a foreign culture any more, or put on a show of civility for the masses. The phone numbers I want to call are local.

Many of these categories are certainly not met by my current state of residence, but there are other delights to which I have become accustomed. A place on campus where I can meet my friends every day for lunch without fail, and never mentioning a plan beforehand. Abundant strawberries and mangos and honeydew in all seasons. Bananas as garnish. Free, easy printing; DVDs from the library; my clutter; my books. Monk's.

Calvin and Hobbes greet me every day when I sit at my desk, Ethan smiles gleefully, tigers prance, pirate ships sail across stickers, a birthday cake and pancakes remind me of the pleasure found in the simplicity of lines. There is a clutter in our apartment that is very much ours and so despite the mess, I find it a comfort. Here the clutter is only mine, which is a comfort and sad reminder. But that is what this year has been for me, so in a way I am coming home. I flew in this morning with anxiety only about departing (since my flight had been cancelled) and arrived with peace of mind after a long, turbulent nap. I felt as if the city were trying its hardest to be welcoming - my bag was waiting for me at claim number 3, the train came 5 minutes later, I was off and towards my room not 15 minutes after that. It was warm, 70 at least, with a nice breeze and not too humid, even sunny. I had good mail, no junk, and thought that even the locks to my suite were oiled while I was gone. A lovely morning.

I do like looking at the lights of the city, even if in daylight the scape is not much nicer than Gary, a much prettier view than the gravelly roof over Powells. I have buses and cabs instead of the freight trains, but neither bother me much anymore with the windows shut at night. The blinds keep out enough light to let me sleep but let in just the right amount to wake me up five or ten minutes before my alarm every day. One of the greatest pleasures in my life - the undisturbed waking. I would not say that Philadelphia is my favorite city nor that I would like to stay here for years more. I am not even sure if I would ever like to visit once I leave for more than a day at a time. But it is not such a bad place to live. I suppose it's growing on me. I also suppose my rosy feelings are belied by my impending return to Chicago, only three days away. We shall have to see how I feel a week from now, when the return is final.

2 Comments:

Blogger jsa said...

I'm still struggling with the thought that I'll have to leave Chicago. New Haven seemed OK, but I think I'm going to be kind of miserable next winter. Maybe you can pass on some wise info from your sister about what's fun in Connect-I-Cut. heh.

12:21 AM CST  
Blogger trophywife said...

um. nice museums. karaoke. good pizza, but not chicago-style. rock climbing nearby, nice juggling club - it's the cool things for math kids to do! there are shows every weekend - theatre/acapella/orchestra a DOC-like thing on weekends. NY's only 2 hours on the train, Cambridge too. You'll be fine. I actually feel like princeton might be more isolated, although I've never been there.

10:04 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home