Tuesday, September 26, 2006

I have reached a pallindromic fullness

In other words, my last post was 101 and this will be 102. I suppose that the hundredth was more exciting in pure numerical terms but there's a lovely symmetry about 101 and a hint of futurity about 102 that I enjoy more, somehow. 100 is just so expected and uneventful, rather like my twenty-first birthday. It's been a numerical sort of weekend - I spent two hours in a car with a mathematics graduate student (ah, how things never change) driving to Chicago for a tournament although this one was a logician, really, and was teaching a course that tried to make math exciting or at least palatable to otherwise uninterested core-appeasing students. The result of this conversation is that I now know how to make a convincing fake ID in Illinois, or at least a convincing license number. The actual manufacture I'd have to leave to someone better equipped and with more experience. Essentially your identity is converted into your number - I hear social security numbers work in a similar fashion although I don't know the details there. And then there were the numbers on Saturday: 4-0. I've never done that before at a tournament and I have to say it felt Quite Good. Almost Spectacular, although the driving rain in our last game was rather disheartening (despite our very chilly offense that managed to not turn it over in the zone). Then Sunday, a less exciting 1-2. A win over Third Coast (hard but well fought on both sides) then an expected loss to Briefcase although we matched them in the second half which makes our first-half lackluster defense and three throwaways on the endzone line rather painful. Then a long break before a rematch with Third Coast - having lost the finals we were subjected to play in the second-place backdoor game. Which, as we concluded during our break, should really be a backdoor bracket for fifth (i.e. the last spot to Regionals). The difficulty with this attitude being that my team essentially decided they didn't want to play the game and therefore gave up before it began. Not fun. And Third Coast, having been beaten by us twice before was eager for revenge. So we lost, badly. I don't recall the numbers involved but it was fifteen to much less, perhaps even less than ten. So. We shall see what comes about at Regionals. The last good number to leave you with is Six. My jersey number (which finally arrived). Bonus points to anyone who can tell me why I picked it. Ethan figured it out straightaway, but then again he's a rather smart chap. Part of what I love about him.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

6th year playing ultimate?

12:47 AM CDT  
Blogger trophywife said...

nope.. it's right up YOUR alley actually

8:13 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home