Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Sticking our heads in the sand, and liking it

I have discovered that it is much better to read Euripides as farce or satire than as tragedy. Suddenly the perpetual weepings and wailings of Helen, the moanings of Menelaus about his tattered clothes and lost army, take on a sense of absurdity that seems intentional rather than overwrought. While I do think that some of the dialogue is meant to have a comedic effect, I doubt that the sum total of the play is supposed to read like a caricature or parody, but with that mindset it actually becomes fun to read. I suppose this is the kind of attitude I ought to approach my recent life with as well - laugh at all the complaints and frustration and move on to a new plot-line. It is true, after all, that much of life is only bourne by laughing at otherwise interminable situations, or unctuous companions. We laugh not at the situation but at the absurdity of it so as not to get caught within the despair of reality. There's nothing quite like intentional self-delusion.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jayadev sent me over. I always do things he tells me to do. Like comment in stranger's blogs. And harrass them to come to DC to play Ultimate. So, comments. I like people who intentionally put the letter U into words that don't need it. I also never thought I would be so enthralled by the idea of chemical hand warmers. Thanks.

5:31 PM CST  
Blogger trophywife said...

Well thanks yourself for showing up. I will be in DC if I can get a ride on friday evening. And "U"s are fun, although only in certain words. Don't want to get too caried away.

11:09 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home