Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A change in the wind

Fall stopped by today for a visit. The sun peeked out for a few hours, breezes tossed wispy clouds across the sky, the tree glowed orange through the slats in my office blinds. Seventy degrees in mid-afternoon. Delight doesn't pop out so unexpectedly often these days so we seized it. A trip out to lunch, walking back basking in the light and lack of rain, pleasantly full and in good company. A slap-dashed group throwing in the quad, my first disc-anything since Sunday of Regionals (good news: I can still throw and catch!) - trying to teach one a flick, trying to teach myself better touch. A meeting of grad students in classics and philosophy, pulled together by one professor, at a local bar for pitchers of Bass and convesation about Canadian hockey players. Suddenly the pieces in my transient Urbana life felt conjoined and fluid. I wore sandals on my feet and didn't need my fleece. By now I am relaxed enough to sit and write which I haven't felt in days (as you are all aware) - even to the point of gentle distraction. If my planes were here, I'd be watching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home