Thursday, October 12, 2006

I'm not sure if I'm ready for this

The chill of winter settled into the wind last night, and arctic blast that swirled its way to lowly Illinois. I heard it snowed in Chicago, heard rumors of flurries on the quad around noon but I was in class and missed it. What I didn't miss was the characteristic taunting so-blue sky and fluffy clouds, seeming to promise a day of delightful outdoor recreation stymied by cold hands and toes and a cutting wind that gusted around corners. Fall weather in the midwest. I am tempted to make pumpkin bread, steep spices in warm cider, bake a pie, crunch leaves on the sidewalks. I wonder when the fall rains will turn to early winter snows (for real, not just dancing flakes) and I'll skid carefully down sidewalks on my way to classes. I can never decide if I like the cold weather or not - the delight of snow never seems to leave me (see post #2) - and yet I miss the easy freedom of a tshirt and skirt, the comfort of sandals, fresh apricots at the farmer's market. I suppose I'll have a while longer to think while the fronts clash in the atmosphere and battle for the highs and lows of the day. The good thing about winter, as I explained to my newest ex-California colleague, is that you can always put on more clothes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home