Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Older and wiser

Well it turns out there are many things to learn still in the world. My understanding of string theory is a little shaky and I'm beginning to forget all my lovely digits of pi (oh mournful day!). I also discovered that I have sent approximately 2.5 emails per day since I was given a gmail account - that's 2.5 emails a day worth saving (and I go through some pretty ruthless trashing at times) which is also momentous considering that for the first year of that time I was sans-internet at home. Additionally, I discovered a possible influence Thucydides may have had on Aristotle when he wrote the poetics and managed to ask a "good question" during office hours today. My constant aspiration and one I rarely manage. This one merited an "I don't know, ask this other professor" which makes me even happier - I'm thinking outside the class! (Although said other prof wasn't in so we'll see when my thirst for knowledge will be sated.) I have also learned that my pessimistic optimism (is that a paradox or oxymoron?) extends to grading in that I am perversely looking forward to a new batch of papers - oh how I hope the munchkins have learned how to write by now! Surely they can't be worse! (And of course I can't be delusional..) I also discovered that I personally know more people posting on RSD these days and I relearned what a fantastic waste of time that website is, especially if you only visit a few times per year. And now an Ode:

From your dearest Trophy Wife
As she travels on in life:
May my writing show a way
Into light this cloudy day;
When I write of soy and corn
Henceforth shall I never mourn -
Longing for the cities far
Does the clean enjoyment mar;
For Ultimate and a climbing gym
Suffice to foster vigor and vim;
What enlightenment in Latin and Greek
(If my mind may deeply peek)
I shall obtain if I try
And swiftly pass along to my
Readers - do not grow faint of heart
For here we approach the greatest part:
These months with your patience have I toyed -
Henceforth, more often will I fill the void.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It amazes me: how when you write
you (usually) are not trite
and although you have little time
you manage to compose charming rhymes.

8:50 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, I am sad that I couldn't comment yesterday. Lame-o Blogger was being finicky. Now I look like I am following JSA around. Second, this is one of those times when I love your writing. Nicely done. Third, you should go and "BOO" our favorite New Haven resident for his lack of skill. Seriously. :)

8:06 PM CDT  
Blogger trophywife said...

Well you have to figure I've been writing these little poems for many years now.. Started off with treasure-hunt clues when I was a pre-teen and progressed to the "special-occasion card" although I've never written anything for mass-consumption or really for myself. Have to admit it was fun :}
J just needs practice.. I recommend he start talking about theorems to himself in verse. And what is that "usually" crap? I mean, I can talk that way about myself but YOU? (That felt good. I need a little bit of self-righteousness once in a while...)

11:11 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home