Monday, October 30, 2006

6/[1-(5/7)]=21

Sequence of tenses, order of operations, rules of conjugation - our world fits so nicely into order and organization and pattern (except for the few tricky exceptions). I've learned the October weather pattern for Urbana - every week apparently must have at least 4 overcast days of which not fewer than 2 shall precipitate. Yet this week is apparently an exception - it is supposed to rain tonight but it was sunny all weekend and supposedly will be for most of the rest of the week also, with temperatures dropping back to 50 after a tantalizing high today around 70. Lovely weather.
Silly me, writing about weather. Next we'll be on to barometric pressure and cold fronts and how my freshman science teacher in high school used to make a barometer for every section she taught every semester (and she wasn't too young) during which process she scooped some mercury out of a nice puddle and stuck it in a tube. With her bare skin. Hmm. Explains a lot, really. I probably have some mercury hiding somewhere in my system since I broke a thermometer first-year and never found the silver ball. I always assumed I just stepped on it at some point and absorbed the delightful poison, although such a small amount as I choose to believe could hardly cause any sort of lasting damage. It'll make a nice excuse some day though when I do something a bit nuts.
See me write, see me wander. The trouble with tiredness. I should get back to my one good paragraph theory (or two, for special occasions) although somehow that takes more depth of thought than this mindless rambling. Perhaps next week I can get back to focus, after this 2 hour lecture is done being planned (still, I quake in fear) and then only the paper writing awaits. If only I could do homework but never have to go to class. I suppose that's the life of a post-doc without teaching responsibilities, really, as someone I know might be able to support. So in that sense, I guess it's a good thing I feel that sort of frustration - shows I'm in the right field after all.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's pretty much the life of a postdoc right now...so yeah, you're in the right field.

and complaining about teaching already... you really are a professor at heart :-)

9:16 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home